Amount Of Damages In Personal Injury Cases In Orange County Significant
“Damages” is a legal term used to describe the sum of money paid to someone for a loss in a legal proceeding. The amount will vary from one accident to another. But in certain cases, the amounts can reach millions of dollars. Many people probably think of damages as the money awarded to someone injured in an auto accident due to someone else’s negligent behavior. But personal injury victims can receive damages for many other reasons.
At the Law Offices of John Rapillo, we work tirelessly to make sure personal injury victims in Orange County, California, get the money they rightfully deserve. Some of the other reasons people can sue for damages include:
- Lost business opportunities (If you can establish that you would have made money in the future but will not now due to your personal injury, you may have a legitimate case.)
- Loss of consortium (Serious accidents can leave people without the ability to physically love someone after the accident.)
- Emotional distress and mental anguish (Personal injury accidents can have serious, long-term effects on someone’s emotional well being.)
- Pain and suffering (Accidents can cause lifelong aches and pains that could get worse over time.)
- Property damage recovery (You are entitled to compensation for any damage to your property caused by your personal injury accident.)
- Cost of medical care (Medical expenses add up fast. Make sure you are fully covered. You shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s mistakes.)
- Loss of income/loss of future earnings (If you are not able to work for weeks or months or even longer, you deserve to be compensated.)
Trust Orange County personal injury lawyer John Rapillo to protect your rights
Depending on the circumstances of your personal injury, you may be able to pursue different types of damages. Some of the most common types of damages include:
- General Damages: Financial compensation for the injured party. This money is intended to reimburse the victim the fair market value of their property damaged in the personal injury accident.
- Compensatory damages: Compensatory damages are derived from the word “compensate,” meaning “to make up for” or “to make whole.” This money is paid to compensate the victim for a loss, injury, or harm.
- Punitive damages: Monetary compensation awarded to an injured party that goes beyond what is necessary to compensate someone for their actual loses. Punitive damages are often awarded to punish the wrongdoer and send a message that such behavior will not be tolerated.
- Speculative damages: Compensation for something that has not yet occurred. In this instance, the person seeking damages must prove they reasonably expected to receive such compensation in the future.
In the case of a wrongful death, surviving family members may be able to obtain damages if they can prove that someone’s actions lead to the death. Damages can be recovered for funeral expenses, loss of companionship and love and/or for loss of financial support.
Expect more. Contact John Rapillo today. Call (800) 814-4771 to schedule an appointment. You can also reach us at our Huntington Beach office at (714) 848-4849 or at our Newport Beach office at (949) 675-5060. Whatever works best for you. You decide.